Thursday, January 5, 2012

Ramble On

I whine a decent amount about my time spent on Amtrak trains, but those trips afford me a few blissful, uninterrupted hours of ipod time.  I love music.  It's kind of a thing.  In some completely corny way, it's my way of building my life's soundtrack, and I steadfastly believe that a life well lived should be accompanied by a soundtrack.  Please don't confuse me with a music snob. Along with some truly great tunes, my soundtrack may or may not contain a few tracks from Big Time Rush.  Laugh all you want-  hearing BTR makes me happy, and Little M and I agree that the smart one (Logan, for those of you who pretend not to know) is the cutest.

Plus, ipod time is my oh-so-sacred daydream time, where I become the rockstar/movie star/olympic gold medalist/academy award winner/Cinderella instead of completely tone-deaf/hopelessly uncoordinated/accountant/soccer mom.    While we're on the topic of tone-deaf, allow me to assert that I am not being self-deprecating about the tone-deaf part.  Let's put it this way: if I were ever to try out for American Idol, there's a very solid chance that I'd end up on TV- on the segments where they show delusional misfits wearing american-flag patterned jeggings while doing an interpretative dance.   It's that bad.

I love getting lost in music and finding my way back out. I'll find a song that is emblematic of some theme in my life and throw it on repeat.  I'll admit this works better on an ipod because normal people who aren't feeling some deep-rooted connection to one song generally don't want to hear it 14 times in rapid succession.    

Today's multiple-repeat choice- Ramble On.  What other song could capture what the hell I've been doing for last week- searching and seeking and most of all, rambling as I'm doing it?   If I want my daughter to approach the world with open arms and an open heart,  I need to learn to do it myself.   If I ramble while I do it, so be it.  

Which leads me to my new experience du jour:

Decided to start a random conversation with a complete stranger on an elevator in a building that's not my own about the book that was in his hands.  Never exchanged names- just about the book, and reading books like an editor (don't ask, it's a sickness). Baby steps-- but those baby steps were worth it.  About 15 minutes after the conversation, the stranger came down to my desk- handed me the book, and told me to read it and to edit it.  Pretty cool.

and the good deed....Justin Aaberg. Billy Lucas.  Asher Brown. Tyler Clementi. They were tragic examples of LGBT youth who could not believe that it does actually get better and could not see a positive future for themselves. The It Gets Better Project was created to show young LGBT people the levels of happiness, potential, and positivity their lives will reach – if they can just get through their teen years. The It Gets Better Project wants to remind teenagers in the LGBT community that they are not alone — and it WILL get better.  Proud to support it.  


Resuming my role as queen of all my (day) dreams,
Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment