Thursday, November 22, 2012

In Defense of Darius Rucker

Stream of consciousness, Thanksgiving night style:

1.  Shoveling sweet potato chips into my mouth despite having already consumed about 143,000 calories today.  It's Thanksgiving.  It's practically un-American to spend one conscious minute on Thanksgiving Day without stuffing your face.
2.  Wearing a pair of frayed flannel reindeer pants, 7 year old Uggs, and a long sleeved tee shirt that I've had since college that has bleach stains down the sleeves.  The thought of a bra is downright laughable.
3. The flannel critter pants are not a symbolic clothing choice.  I rock these babies in July.  In public.
4.  Contemplating a trip to fine shopping establishments to finally experience the joys of midnight Black  Friday shopping.
5.  Realizing that, given my unwillingness to budge from my current clothing state, the only store that I can actually go to is Walmart.
6.  Debating if my hatred of Walmart outweighs my desire to potentially achieve a bucket list item---being named a "Featured Creature" on peopleofwalmart.com.  
7.  Wondering if I can live the Walmart dream while sitting on the couch, with my hand in a bag of sweet potato chips.

I'm in a deeply profound state tonight.  Clearly.

But it is Thanksgiving, and I am thankful.  I've thought long and hard about what exactly to say here, and ultimately I've decided that Darius Rucker has already captured and more eloquently shared what I've wanted to say.

Yes, that Darius Rucker.  The Hootie and the Blowfish Darius Rucker.

Go ahead and snicker.  Really. It's fine.

The lyrics come from a song titled "This".  Go ahead.  Snicker again.

Then read the lyrics. Think of your kids.  Betting the snickers will stop.

Take it away, Darius.

Got a baby girl sleeping in my bedroom
There's the sound of rain on the rooftop
And the game's about to start

I don't really know how I got here
But I'm sure glad that I did
And it's crazy to think that one little thing
Could've changed all of it

Maybe it didn't turn out like I planned
Maybe that's why I'm such, such a lucky man

For every stoplight I didn't make
Every chance I did or I didn't take
All the nights I went too far
All the girls that broke my heart
All the doors that I had to close
All the things I knew but I didn't know
Thank God for all I missed
'Cause it led me here to this 

Spent the day watching Little M smile and giggle and snuggle and play with her cousins.  Thankful for each and every single moment that brought me to my own, constantly evolving state of "This".  Sometimes, This is scary and sometimes, This is sad.  But....when you catch a fleeting glimpse of your child's unadulterated joy....you realize that This is This....and This is good.

Happy, happy everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment